Select A Question
LocalGetaways is an exciting new way to plan and book local vacation getaways throughout Northern California. By combining a free weekly e-newsletter and travel website, LocalGetaways offers its subscribers fast and easy way to find dozens of great deals to hundreds of Northern California hotels, restaurants, spas, attractions, and activities.
What’s more, we also help you keep tabs on all the upcoming events and festivals going on throughout Northern California. In short, LocalGetaways offers a fast, fun, informative, and frugal way to plan and book your local getaways.
- I noticed the “reviews by Frommer’s” logo on your website. What’s that about?
LocalGetaways’ newsletter and website content is provided exclusively by Frommer’s Travel Guides, one of the most trusted names in the travel business. So not only does LocalGetaways provide its subscribers with a wide array of money-saving travel deals, the newsletter and website also offer Frommer’s recommendations on what else there is to see and do in the area after they’ve booked their weekend getaway.
- How does the newsletter work?
Like this: A LocalGetaways newsletter is emailed to our subscribers every week, listing our top getaway offers throughout Northern California, as well as upcoming events and festivals going on throughout the region. When the subscriber clicks on a newsletter link, a LocalGetaways Property Page opens that contains:
- The details of the deal being offered
- The Frommer’s or Best Places review of the property (if available)
- Photos of the property
- A webpage link or phone number for booking directly with the property
- And map showing where the property is located and driving directions
If you like what you see, you click on the link, book the deal on the property’s website, and you’re done. It’s that easy.
- What makes you different from all the other travel newsletters?
- We only offers deals within driving distance of your home. Sure, the other travel newsletters might be offering a great deal on a flight to Peru next week, but who the heck has time to go to Peru?
- We only offer exclusive local deals for our subscribers, not a rehash of deals already being offering by the hotels on their website. We play hardball with local hotel owners to make sure you’re getting the best deals possible.
- We’ve teamed up with Frommer’s Travel Guides to provide you with hundreds of expertly written hotel and restaurant reviews, as well as loads of advice on fun things to do all over Northern California. No other newsletter on the planet offers all this.
- We’re only the messenger between you and the hotel properties, so if you need to change anything with your reservation you can call the hotel directly. Unlike those other tricky online travel companies, you’re not locked into anything with us. We don’t even want to know how old you are.
- We constantly refresh our website with new and unique themes, tips, and suggestions for local travel. You won’t find a better source than LocalGetaways for learning about and exploring your own backyard.
- How do I sign up for the newsletter?
Signing up is simple: Follow this link and enter your name and email address and you’ll start receiving our local travel newsletters
- What if I’m only interested in deals where I can take my kids with me? Can I tailor the newsletter to my preferences?
Yes. Very soon you’ll be able to tailor each newsletter depending on your preferences, so that you’ll only receive the type of weekly travel offers that interest you, such as family travel, golf, spa retreats, adventure travel, and much more. Think of it as your own private travel newsletter that allows you to easily plan, book, and save money every time you travel locally.
- I see a photo by the Getaway Guru… is that a real person or someone out of a picture frame?
Nope, Matthew is a real live travel expert who is actually a bit obsessed with discovering travel deals and new destinations throughout California. You can trust him to tell it to you straight…and believe us, he has seen it all. As a veteran author of the Frommer’s guides to California, San Francisco, and Los Angeles, Matthew IS the Getaway Guru.
- After I book a deal on a hotel’s website, how do I know it went through correctly?
Usually the hotel will send you a email confirmation with all the details of your hotel stay. If you don’t receive a confirmation within 48 hours, we recommended that you call the hotel and make sure they received your reservation information.
- If I book a package deal that includes dinner, massage, and golf, who sets up the restaurant spa, and tee-off reservation times?
The hotels are solely responsible for the packages they put together for LocalGetaways subscribers. We just help them promote it. Usually the hotel will arrange the dates and times of your dinner, tee time, etc. when you make your reservation over the phone. If you book the package through the hotel’s website, a hotel representative usually calls you within 48 hours to arrange your preferred activity schedule.
- What if I want to stay at a hotel that’s offering a package deal but I don’t want the deal, just a room reservation?
You can still book a room through the hotel’s website, which we provide on our website. However, don’t click the “book my getaway!” button, which will take you to a special LocalGetaways reservation page that includes the package. Or simply call the hotel and ask for their best rate. And tell them we sent you!
- Where else besides Northern California does LocalGetaways distribute its newsletter?
LocalGetaways is currently publishing its newsletter exclusively in the Northern California region. Other major metropolitan regions will follow in the coming months, including Southern California, New York, Washington DC, Florida, Seattle, Phoenix, Dallas, and Chicago. But if you have other ideas of where we should start exploring, let us know. We’re always up for a great road trip.